- TEMALEW Bereket Desalegn wins stage five
Stage six: Rubavu-Kinigi (108.5km)
1. Desalegn Temalew (Ethiopia) 02h53’38”
2. Moise Mugisha (Les Amis Sportifs) 02h53’39”
3. Julius Jayde (South Africa) 02h54’01”
4. Azzedine Lagab (GSP Algerie) 02h54’01”
5. Eric Manizabayo (Club Benediction) 02h54’05”
General Classification top five
1. Samuel Mugisha (Team Rwanda) 19h31’52”
2. Jean Claude Uwizeye (POC Cote Lumiere) 19h32’13”
3. Mulu Hailemicheal (Ethiopia) 19h32’16”
4. Azzedine Lagab (GSP Algerie) 19h32’35”
5. David Lozano (Team Novo Nordisk) 19h33’42”
Ethiopian 20-year old sensation Bereket Desalegn Temalew defied the odds on Friday winning the gruesome 108.6km of Rubavu-Kinigi stage six of the ongoing Tour du Rwanda.
Considered as one of the exhaustive stages in this year’s edition, the 108.5km stage ended at an elevation of almost 2450m saw the 20-year old debutant proving his climbing prowess as he beat fellow debutant Moise Mugisha from Les Amis Sportifs to register his first Tour du Rwanda stage win.
Temelew beat Mugisha with just one second following an aggressive sprint to the finish clocking 2 hours, 53 minutes and 38 seconds.
Julius Jayde of Team South Africa finished third clocking 02h54’01” while stage one winner Azzedine Lagab took the fourth place also posting 02h54’01” with Club Benediction’s Eric Manizabayo taking the fifth place clocking 02h54’05”.
Mugisha finished in the 20th place clocking 02h56’22”, a total of two minutes and 44 seconds behind the stage winner.
Nonethless, Mugisha has retained the yellow jersey for fifth consecutive day now leading the general classification with 19hours, 31minutes and 52 seconds and is followed by Jean Claude Uwizeye from France’s POC Cote Lumiere who has so far used 19h32’13” while Ethiopian Mulu Hailemicheal is third with 19h32’16”.
For the Penultimate stage on Saturday, head back to Kigali from Musanze racing a total distance of 107.4 kilometers.
The gruesome stage will have a total of six climbs and the first KOM points will be after 19.2 kilometers, the second one will be after 60.4 kilometers with the third one after 88.6 kilometers while the fourth will be after 94.2 kilometers. The final four climbs will come after 102.4km and 107.4 kilometers respectively.
- TEMALEW Bereket Desalegn in the stage winner jersey sponsored by Skol Rwanda
Stage seven: Musanze - Kigali (107.4 km)